Soil pipe offset in stack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone confirm plan is ok or not?

I currently have a ground floor bathroom which sends waste out the back of the pan and immediately vertically down through the subfloor and into the concrete beneath (red pipe). This pipe then bends and discharges into manhole directly outside the bathroom (toilet site against external wall).

We are renovating and ensuite upstairs sends a new soil pipe down in the corner of the room (yellow pipe).

Is it possible to use a Y to connect the new vertical stack in the corner of the room, into the vertical portion of the current soil pipe (something like the green pipe).

I know you are supposed to use a long radius bend on the bottom of a soil stack but I dont know how this would work as there is no space for such a setup

Attachments

• Doc1.pdf
    38 KB · Views: 136
Sponsored Links
Anything waste pipe related is covered by building regs. Even if you change the toilet and want to shorten or lengthen the 4" waste pipe to the stack, you should apply for building regs, I kid you not. And when you do that, you will have the perfect chap on site to ask when he lands from building control.

Yes but want to check proposal is feasible and OK in principle . This is part of extension covered by building regs

Simple answer is No, Long radius bends are required for a reason. Options are, but not limited to, realign existing drain to meet corner position of new Stack, provide suitable bend at foot. Come upwards in the corner of the room, then reconnect existing WC using a Branch into the new stack, abandon and seal off now redundant drain.

Or leave existing WC as is, provide new stack externally, and make new connection into manhole for new stack.

Trying to connect as you propose will not comply with Building Regs and is likely to cause issues with noise, possible blockages, and/or foul air being forced back up through ground floor WC.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice

I think yes best do properly so will mean digging up the oversite and putting the long radius bend in

As we have good condition red tarmac outside and also near front door do not want to run pipe externally

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back