Soil pipe vent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a house built in 2005. There are 2 soil pipe vents, both vent directly into the loft. One of them vents from the main bathroom into the back of the loft, and has been plugged with a polystyrene bung with BBA written on it, and the other one, which vents from the ensuite and the downstairs toilet, vents into the front of the loft and is just open. Sometimes the smell in the loft is awful and it can penetrate the house itself. Now that I have found out that 1 is bunged up anyway, can I bung the other one? Or are there regs that need following? Do I need an "AAV"? Thanks in advance. Paul.

Sponsored Links
At least one of them should vent externally (through the roof probably) but in the short term get 2 AAVs and fit one to each stack - that should at least stop your foul drains venting into the roofspace and allow them to run

2nd thought - are you sure that the polystyrene bung is not an AAV with frost protection?

Aah it might be. Thanks. I will check and let you know. If it is why wouldn't the other vent have one on aswell? A genuine reason, or just incompetence / laziness? Although I wouldn't put anything past the builders of this home.

Sponsored Links
gut feel - probably incompetence. Somebody fits soil pipe up to plate height and roofers complete the job but nobody notices the lack of vent (including building control!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back