Soil pipe with aav in loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have just been up in my loft and noticed that soil pipe which has air admittance valve is next to unconnected roof air vent (please see pictures attached).
Would removing aav shortening pipe and connecting it to roof vent instead give any benefit or is it better to just leave it as it is and cap off roof vent to stop insects getting into loft ?
IMG_7116.JPG Roof Vents.jpg

Sponsored Links
Is that vent not for the loft though? Membrane doesn’t look breathable type.

House have vented soffits boards fitted.

Would they provide sufficient ventilation for loft ?20210426_190953.jpg

Sponsored Links
Thank you, I'll get back up there tomorrow and connect it together, probably just lazy builders who couldn't be ask to do job right. It's a fairly new build (only 4 years old) from Keepmoat so you can't expect to much.

At least they fitted an aav. I found some new builds on a new estate where I work, and found them open to atmosphere in the loft - smell wasn’t good for our tenants during the warmer weather :sick:

Looking at it, I reckon the flexi came up too short to fit into the socket just visible above the insulation, so rather than cut a short piece of pipe to suit and fit a coupling to connect the vent, they just shoved any old offcut in and stuck the AAV on the top.

Bottom end is connected to manhole on my driveway so they got it right :D, but on planning it is showing as this manhole only taking my waste..... what a surprise it was when I found that my neighbours waste are actually routed in to my manhole and the other manhole that supposed to take their waste is not there.

Bottom end is connected to manhole on my driveway so they got it right :D, but on planning it is showing as this manhole only taking my waste..... what a surprise it was when I found that my neighbours waste are actually routed in to my manhole and the other manhole that supposed to take their waste is not there.

That actually works to your advantage, as it means your Water Company is responsible for the drains from the point they become shared.

My post about the bottom end refers to a job I went to as an Apprentice. New build house, but had sat empty for about 12 months before a Tenant moved in. He'd been there about a week, when he came downstairs one morning to find the residue of his morning ablutions had reappeared in the kitchen sink and flooded onto the floor. He promptly called the Letting Agent who promptly called us. Did take long to notice the lack of a manhole cover on the driveway compared with the adjacent houses... After a quick bit of digging I uncovered the drain, coming out from the foundation wall about 3 ft and a breezeblock over the end. The Builders had forgotten to connect it to anything!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back