Soil pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Hope someone can offer some advice about resealing the bottom of a soil stack.

Had a leak from some old waste pipe boss connections on the internal soil stack upstairs. All sorted now, I've had to replace upper section of the soil stack meaning I used a slip coupler further down.

Noticed the coupler causes fair bit more noise from the water coming down the pile and possible cause for future blockage so to finish the job off I'd like to replace the coupled bottom pipe section with a new collared pipe section before boxing in. (From ceiling to floor level).

Bottom of soil pile enters a larger plastic collar and is mortared in.

Any advice of chipping out/inserting new bottom section and replacing??

How should I seal it?

Want to be sure it's a proper job and properly sealed up before new kitchen is fitted.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210204-185236_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210204-185236_Gallery.jpg
    599.2 KB · Views: 53
  • Screenshot_20210204-185225_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210204-185225_Gallery.jpg
    712.9 KB · Views: 53
Sponsored Links
In over 30 years of working in, on and around drainage, I have only ever come across one occasion where the stack was blocked in the vertical section. if the joints have been made properly and there's nothing protruding into the pipe, then the likelihood of that blocking is zero in my view.

Cannot see why it would be more noisy than it was prior to your repairs, if noise is an issue, box it in, and fill the void with fibreglass insulation to dampen the sound. Replacing it is just making work for the sake of work, and could cause you more problems than it solves.

Sound advice, thank you.

Probably me over thinking it. Like you say, gravity ought to keep it flowing. Bound to be louder at the min as I took away the boxing in to repair.

Was just concerned I'd disturbed the mortar slightly when fitting the new pipe work and really don't want another leak behind new kitchen units.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back