Soil pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure this is the right place to post this but as it's building related i'll do it here.Our next door neighbours have recently removed there old lean to utility (built against our brick built utility ) and bulit a kitchen/utility room at the back of the garage at the same time converting the garage into a study and created a walkway between our utility and there extension,they have installed a toilet in the new extension on the outside wall,i assume they have installed a macerator as there is no soil pipe, does this still need to go into the main sewer pipe as there appears to be 2 pipes coming out of the wall about 2" diameter,the main soil pipe is against the side of the house so would mean laying a pipe about 4 metres long. Now the main point of this post, since this has been built we have the original storm drain in our utility and just lately we have been having a strong smell of sewage in the drain which appears to be leaking through the concrete, my suspicion is that the builders have dug a soakaway for the drain hence the suspected sewage coming through the concrete,how can i trace this without upsetting my neighbours. As this is quite a large extension it goes beyond the building line of the house would planning permission have been needed,also the overflow (i think thats what you would call it)from the central heating boiler comes though the garage wall into the walkway between the house at a height from the ground of about 4 feet the pipe comes out of the wall and has a u bend on it to direct any water back at the wall i always believd it should terminate at about 2" from the ground. Sorry for the long post

Sponsored Links
I found your post a little confusing & difficult to follow which may also be why nobody else has responded but I’ll have a go! Planning permission may or may not have been required for your neighbour’s extension, depending on its size & location & certainly if it projects beyond the original line at the front of the house. If he had applied, you would have received planning application notification from your local council & there would have been a planning notice displayed on your neighbours fence for 28 days where it can be seen from the road; this is to give those affected the chance to comment/object. The fact that you’ve seen neither means he either didn’t need PP or never bothered applying!

Both the garage conversion & new extension must comply with current Building Regulations which is something completely different & separate to PP & inspections should have been carried out at various stages of the build, particularly for the foundations, insulation, toilet facilities & pipework. All raw sewage has to pass through a foul drain regardless weather it’s a macerator or not; he cant just connect up to a surface water drain (if that’s what you mean by storm drain) & you certainly cant just dump the lot into a soak away without it passing through a biological sewage treatment unit which is quiet large & if he had one you would definitely see it. I can’t help with your CH boiler questions but, again, the work must comply with BR’s; try posting on the CH & P forum but, again, I found it difficult to understand you question!

I don’t know how well you get on with your neighbour but your first contact should be with him to explain the problems your getting then your local council but if he has breached both Planning & Building regs. it will undoubtedly upset your neighbour but that’s his problem & not yours, he should have followed the rules in the first place; could be interesting!

Thanks for that Richard it confused me a little when i was typing it, there was so much to say i didn't know where to start.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back