Solar panel pigeon protection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
I am currently selling my house however, I have am issue with pigeons going underneath my solar panels. I'm looking for a fairly cheap and easy fix. I've looked at a few different systems with varying costs. I was thinking of using pvc gutter guard with some kind of clip system. Has anyone else used a similar DIY approach that you could recommend? thanks for your assistance

Sponsored Links
Hi All
I am currently selling my house however, I have am issue with pigeons going underneath my solar panels. I'm looking for a fairly cheap and easy fix. I've looked at a few different systems with varying costs. I was thinking of using pvc gutter guard with some kind of clip system. Has anyone else used a similar DIY approach that you could recommend? thanks for your assistance
Hi,

My neighbours had the same problem with pigeons nesting and got some wire mesh fencing and fixings and came up with a tidy solution.

This is me taking a picture of my extension trusses, but you can see their panels with this solution. Quite discreet.

Cheers
Andy

IMG_4E24F5C68194-1.jpeg

I would have thought that either square mesh or chicken wire folded into tubes would be relatively easy to size up then shove in? Probably need the odd bit of wire wrap to join them together.
Hardest part would be safe access.

Hi,

My neighbours had the same problem with pigeons nesting and got some wire mesh fencing and fixings and came up with a tidy solution.

This is me taking a picture of my extension trusses, but you can see their panels with this solution. Quite discreet.

Cheers
Andy

View attachment 215380

thanks for your reply, ive found similar systems. Its the fixing detail most of interest, one I've found the fixings stick on to the side of the panels. I'm not keen on this from a longevity perspective. An alternative is plastic clip system, although I don't know if my panels have a lip to accept the clips

Sponsored Links
I would have thought that either square mesh or chicken wire folded into tubes would be relatively easy to size up then shove in? Probably need the odd bit of wire wrap to join them together.
Hardest part would be safe access.

Thanks for your suggestion, a local roof repair company suggested a similar approach with chicken wire. Do you think it would self hold or would some fixings help hold?

Presumably the panels have verticals that hold them off the roof? So a tube of chicken wire squeezed in would self support for a while, but a wire bent around the vertical and then into some of the mesh would hold it together? Rust might be an issue so stainless might be better. I suspect that nylon cable ties, although great for speedy fitting, would suffer with UV light.

The tubes would normally stay in position but leaves and high winds could cause them to move- hence the wires/cable ties. Maybe look at tv aerial rigging or boats? Something that will take adverse weather.

Edit- maybe just use thick solid copper core from mains cable to hold the mesh?

Presumably the panels have verticals that hold them off the roof? So a tube of chicken wire squeezed in would self support for a while, but a wire bent around the vertical and then into some of the mesh would hold it together? Rust might be an issue so stainless might be better. I suspect that nylon cable ties, although great for speedy fitting, would suffer with UV light.

The tubes would normally stay in position but leaves and high winds could cause them to move- hence the wires/cable ties. Maybe look at tv aerial rigging or boats? Something that will take adverse weather.

Edit- maybe just use thick solid copper core from mains cable to hold the mesh?

yeah there's a rail system which the panels fit on. Ive seen screwfix do some welded mesh in lengths which if cut to the right depth would maybe look neater than chicken wire rolled up. If I could come up with a suitable fixing method I think that would be a fairly inexpensive solution

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back