Solar Water Heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I've moved into a new home that has solar water heating installed. Would anyone be able to explain how in practice it works.

I get the broad principle - solar panels heat up water so that I don't need to use so much gas to heat my water, but in practice, I don't understand how it operates, so that I can be sure I'm using it effectively.

What I know is that I have gas central heating, and I have a large Gledhill water storage tank. I also have a solar panel controller which tells me the temperature on the solar panels and in my tank, but how it works with the gas central heating, I just don't know.

I'd really appreciate it if someone could explain its operation. Thanks

Sponsored Links
I think the solar panels have oil in them, not sure on this tho.

But whatever it uses it passes hot liquid through a separate coil in your hot water tank, therefore your boiler doesn't have to heat a cold tank, or heat at all.

Ok thanks. I need to think a little more about what my specific question is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back