Solid Concrete Floor Questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm after some advice on a solid concrete floor which I'm doing as part of workshop/summerhouse build. I'm doing most of what I can myself. Mainly the block work I wont be doing. I'm ready to start doing the solid floor and understand needing hardcore, sand, dpm, concrete and screed, but do I need an expansion gap round the concrete and can I omit having a screed layer if the concrete is level?

I'm going to have a laminate floor on top which will sit on some fibre underlay so not sure if screed is needed.

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you are insulating I'd put the insulation on top of the hard core/sand/dpm then pour the slab on top of that. You can put a strip of insulation all round the edge which completely isolates the slab from the outside world and gives a bit of an expansion gap.

No need for screed if it you can get it flat. If you can get it close you can always add a little self levelling compound.

Thanks for the reply. That's great thanks. I was going to use polystyrene sheets at 75mm for the insulation for cheapness although I was told I should use 100mm celotex, would the polystyrene be ok for the edges?

Sponsored Links
75mm poly is not much. It wouldn't meet building regs for a habitable space. For a workshop or summer house then it's your call. The walls and roof will make a much bigger difference so if money is tight then spend a bit more on insulating those.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back