Solid Wall's Internal Insulation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi everyone,

Want to make my house more energy efficient and have solid walls and just have plaster on them at the moment.

Been looking at insulated plasterboard but don't really know where to start with the process. Pretty confident of fitting the plasterboard etc myself then a plaster to finish off.

So what i am asking is what company is best to go with heard good things about Celotex? What thickness is minimum of plasterboard i should go with and how to attach to wall do i need to do a baton system for ventilation purpose's. Also on walls that are not exposed to outside elements just go with normal 12.5mm plasterboard?

Thanks for any info and help. :D

Sponsored Links
check with building regs before you start. current regs state that if your removing more than i think its 30% of plaster on an external wall your supposed to bring it up to current U values and get it signed off by regs.

doing mine at the min and regs have been happy for me to use plasterboard with 20mm insulation in most areas, but use thicker in other rooms where space is not as much of an issue.

Yeah saw about the u values 0.30 or less was looking @ 50mm +12.5mm plasterboard as room's are good size.

Can I just fix straight to wall or is a baton system needed to leave small gap?

Cheers for the info

after advice from a mate and from the manufacturer i've just dot and dabbed. using gtec board and bonding compound.

but this would depend on the board, some i looked at dont have a paper backing to do this so need to be studded and screwed, if you dot and dab you still need a couple of screws to stop it being a hazard if theres a fire.

i had different recommendations in terms of dabbing, some said just do dabs here and there others to do a ring around all edges - with different benefits and cons to both!

if the aim of the ventilation is to stop condensation then gtec advised this wouldnt be a prob as the boards also have a vapour barrier.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice

Have you noticed much difference in terms of been more efficient in winter with keeping warmth in? Also what's it like in summer months?

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back