65mm internal plasterboard wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am taking down an internal plasterboard wall. I need to reconstruct it further into the other bedroom to allow for a built in wardrobe.

Taking down the wall was not a problem , no services etc. However it only has a outer wood frame. It appears to be made up of a 12.5mm plasterboard then a 19mm (ish) layer of plaster board and finally another 12.5mm layer. Overall this comes in at 60-65mm wall section.

I was expecting it to be a standard stud wall and so was planning to replace with a normal wooden frame, stud noggins etc and plasterboard route, but this would increase the wall thickness. :(

If I want to go down the same route can I get 19mm thickness? Or should I just use two 9.5mm?. If a put a stud around each board to ‘frame’ it (like what is there) would this give it enough support?

The house is from the 70-80s.

Any advice would be great ;)

cheers

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back