Thickness of plasterboard for stud/partition wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Can anyone offer me any advice please?

I have removed a wall between the toilet and bathroom and I am building a stud wall to block one of the doors off. The stud wall will join onto an exising wall which is 104mm thick. Therefore my stud wall will need to be this thickness when skimmed (I'm getting a plasterer to skim it).

I'm using 75mm wood for my frame, my question is, should I use 9mm plasterboard or 12.5mm plasterboard? A few people have told me 9mm for ceilings and 12.5mm for walls - does this stand true? I'm going to put some rockwall insulation inside - 50mm thickness for sound proofing.

Any advice appreciated,
Many thanks,
Rich

Sponsored Links
generally 12.5mmm board everywhere, the thickness of the boards dictates the distance between your vertical timbers, 9.5mm needs verticals at 400mm centres, 12.5mm upwards only 600mm centres.

in your case though you need to consider the amount of room left for a skim coat on either side which given your existing wall thickness only leaves you 2mm each side for skim if using 12.5mm board which is a little tight IMO, so would recommend 9.5mm board with 400mm centred timber framework and that will give 5mm for skim each side.

Many thanks for the reply. I haven't bought the wood for the frame yet, so could buy narrower timber and use thicker board?

It looks like Wickes do 63, 69 or 75mm

Many thanks,
Rich

then go for the 69mm timber and 12.5mm board with the frame built to 600mm centres, 12.5mm board is far better and stronger etc than 9.5mm and using 69mm timber will give you 5mm each side for skim.

Sponsored Links
Totally agree with TM regards boards. We rarely use 9.5mm boards and only use them where thickness prohibits the use of 12.5mm fellas.

If it were me I'd use 450mm centres and 900 x 1800 x 12.5 boards.

Nice and solid.

yeah i guess 450mm centres would work better given that its only a doors width he studding, 600 too wide, and would be more solid.

the centres we talk of are maximum recommended so nothing wrong with having them narrower, if it's just the door way then build the frame and put a timber smack bang in the centre.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back