some 3 phase advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need some advice to understand issues before calling in the sparks.

I have a 3 phase supply from a 20kva transformer that enters into my old now disused workshops (formally a woodworking business). From this supply a phase line has been taken to supply adjacent home with a conventional 60amp supply.
The workshop had various large (approx:cool: woodworking machines upto 8hp all of which could be run at the same time.

The business has long since gone but not the supply. I now have bought a machine for personal fun/restoration that is an old (1960s -70s) but seen working. I am not contemplating doing the wiring myself but would like to know if I have enough supply (or what I should be looking for in terms of supply) to run the motor for this machine.

The plate on the motor states - full load amps 35.0 - horse power 25 - cycles 50 - motor amps 37.0 - rating CO/T or possibly CO/I - volts 400 - phase 3 - full load speed 950 - rotor volts 320.0

Additionally I would need to run armoured cable approx 40 meters from the distribution box to the proposed machine site and wonder what issues this would present. The machine is a log cutting bandmill for cutting tree trunks into planking.

I hope my request makes sense and reveals I know very basic knowledge of these things. If it is not possible I'll have to rethink a rather stinky, environmentally unfriendly perkins diesel. lol. Hope you clever bods can help? :oops:

Sponsored Links
They don't even do a 20kva TP tranny. I would say it would be a 200 - Thats the largest pole mount they do.

I would say your supply is more than adequate to supply the machine, but a photo of your metering and intake arrangements would be good to confirm what you have - A few photos with doors open/covers removed would be good, but what ever you can do.

As for the cable run, with a 35amp load over 40m, 6mm SWA is adequate. If the machine does not need a neutral, use the 4th SWA core as the earth. If the machine does need a neutral, you could use the armour as the earth, but ideally, you would supplement a 4mm earth cable tied along with the SWA.

A 6mm circuit is not unusually large - you may already have one installed in your building from your old machines.

Sponsored Links
Did you say that one phase is now been used to supply a separate dwelling?
Does the separate dwelling belong to you?
How would you plan to split out that phase so it could also feed your 3 phase machine?

hi - when the board installed the meter they put in seperate fuse holders for the house and a small outbuilding. To do this they took from the meter 3 ph lines to my workshop distribution board and also from the meter they took what they called at the time a single phase to each of the two fuse box things that then lead to the house (which is mine) and to the outbuilding. when they reach each of the properties they enter a distribution board one rated to 60 amps the other to 30amps. hope that helps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back