3 phase motor wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of the motors on my 3 phase universal woodworking machine died a few months ago - bit of a bang, lights went out, ran for a while, but with loss of power before throwing the electrics again.

After discovering that a motor rewind would cost roughly the same as a new motor I decided to check ebay. Luckily I found an exact same motor which the seller had removed from a similar machine and replaced it with a 240v one to convert his machine to run on a domestic supply.

The motor plates are identical on both motors.

I'm not really that knowledgable as far as 3 phase motors go, but the original motor, and all the other motors in my workshop are connected like this:

View media item 55755
However the replacement ebay motor has been connected like this:

View media item 55756
Is this how 415v motors are wired to run on 240v?
Can I just rewire the connections to match the original motor?
What would happen if I just connected it as it is?

Many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Those are star delta links, undo the bolts and arrange them in the same manner as your old motor.

The top one is star. That is what you want with a standard 400V three phase supply.

The bottom way is delta. This is only used if you're driving the motor from a 230V inverter.

Sponsored Links
What would happen if I just connected it as it is?

It will spin a bit faster, but maybe not for too long :)

As said above, put the links across the top like your old one. If you want to know Y read about wye and delta. Always known it as star / delta myself.

[ramble] I remember my first summer job, many years ago, reconditioning star/delta starters. These were big rack mounted things, seriously heavy. They started the motors up in star to reduce the current then once up to speed it would switch it to delta [/ramble]

mikeyd";p="2653188 said:
I remember my first summer job, reconditioning star/delta starters. These were big rack mounted things, seriously heavy. They started the motors up in star to reduce the current then once up to speed a contactor would switch it to delta quote]
(further ramble)
The technical college machines lab where I used to work had a couple of manual star-delta starters. One lecturer always used to demonstrate (at least once per term) that if you didn't give it enough time to run up to speed before you switched to delta then the fuse would blow...
He used to do something similar with DC faceplate starters as well, leaving me with the job of making new field resistors. :evil:

I understood RF's answer, as I think you two did too.
Not sure he was expecting the Spanish inquisition but this is my interpritation:

The bottom way is delta. This is usualy only used if you're driving the motor from a 230V inverter.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha how can you call anyone immature with your posting history?

Well lets just start with your responses on this thread shall we?

Name calling and ha ha's isn't backing up a thing for you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back