3 phase motor wiring

Sponsored Links
Those are star delta links, .

No such thing exists , try google,please go back to screwfix no one will miss you here thats for sure

Yes they do. Look at the diagrams on the first page.

The links in horizontal are star connection, vertical is delta.

I didn't come from screwfix, but coming from someone who didn't know about the existance of twin and earth until not so long ago, it appears you did.

You're a dick

:rolleyes: Post your qualifications here then
Twin and earth was rarely used for lighting if at all in the 50s and your a LIAR you aint seen it many times
You try and twist everyones posts when your the one posting misleading crap.

Sponsored Links
You're a dick

:rolleyes: Post your qualifications here then
Twin and earth was rarely used for lighting if at all in the 50s and your a LIAR you aint seen it many times
You try and twist everyones posts when your the one posting misleading crap.

Wow, you've certainly mastered the art of forum use.

No one is a liar. The only person posting misleading informaton is RF, but but you're picking a forum war with me (ooooh noooooo!).

Twin and earth for lighting in the 50? They didn't have a cpc in the sheath in 50s lighting, good god, you're a wrong un :LOL:

Well thats wrong a star delta motor wouldnt need any links fitted

Correct, but just to clarify slightly, a motor using a star/delta starter would not have any links fitted.

He knew perfectly well what I meant, no one else had a problem with it, in that you use the links to connect the motor, in star, or delta. You'll remove them to connect to a star/delta starter. He knew this, everyone does, he's just being difficult.

You're quick to call everyone else but when you post misleading information that's ok?

I'm struggling to keep up with the various conversations going on, but am I correct in thinking that if I reconnect the motor terminals in the star pattern and attach the wires as they were on the original motor then everything will be fine?

I was a bit concerned that because the replacement motor had been wired in delta, then the windings would be different, but this doesn't appear to be the case - does it just mean that it was run off an inverter at some point? I've emailed the chap I bought it off to ask if he knows anything of his machine's history, but haven't heard back from him yet.

My brother has just purchased a large inverter to run a decent size lathe, we're struggling to identify L1, L2 & L3 at the moment and haven't attempted to connect it yet. I had no idea that he'd need to alter the motor's terminals to delta, is this usual practice?

I'm struggling to keep up with the various conversations going on, but am I correct in thinking that if I reconnect the motor terminals in the star pattern and attach the wires as they were on the original motor then everything will be fine?

Is there not rating plates on the two motors? Can you not check the ratings?

sorry fuzzytrifle
Whenever the salad boy gets involved it goes to peices.

Twin and earth for lighting in the 50? They didn't have a cpc in the sheath in 50s lighting, good god, you're a wrong un :LOL:

Make up your mind , In a post about twin and EARTH lighting circuits. :confused:

I've seen plenty of houses with 50s or 60s wiring

My brother has just purchased a large inverter to run a decent size lathe, we're struggling to identify L1, L2 & L3 at the moment and haven't attempted to connect it yet. I had no idea that he'd need to alter the motor's terminals to delta, is this usual practice?

You can set the voltage on the inverter usually, but it is quite common to see the phase-phase voltage of an inverter set to 230v, so a delta config would be required.

Star-Delta starters are commonly used on large macerating pumps in sewerage works. Not only do they draw less current on startup, but the motor has more torque (but less speed) on startup too, ideal for a macerating pump that has to churn a pile of solidifying shite.

I thought star delta was used where you want a reduced start up current and reduced torque, usually around a third of that of DOL delta.

It would seem there is some inexperience out there. Small motors normally would 230 volt delta and 400 volt star. (Allows use of inverters) Larger motors are 400 volt delta and 695 volt star although never designed to run star the configuration just helps starting.

There are also some other configurations both with motors and generators in some cases 12 windings to allow a host of different voltages and not all large motors are 400 volt delta I have used large motors star wound with auto transformer or resistor start and some times more than one stage.

In real terms only way is to read the plate but where there is no plate then try star first if not enough torque then clearly should be delta you can of course burn out a motor running star instead of delta but you have some time to see it's not running as designed. Running delta instead of star often burns out motor before overload trips so clear which to try first.

There are exceptions to every rule motors with 12 windings will still have links even when in star/delta mode for example but I would from description have given a quick answer of star is for inverter use with 230v and delta for 400v use. Now queried I would list the other options but think it is very unlikely it will use one of the odd options.

It could even be a single phase motor although unlikely I remember some flyght pumps where all the control gear was in a box and since the pump was duel wired 110v or 240v in single phase version all 6 terminals were used. It was very easy to get them mixed up and only real way to test was measure resistance. If between all three terminals were same then 3 phase if different then single phase.

I am sure there are motors I have never worked on and I would never say some one was wrong or silly when giving a different answer to what I thought to be correct. Question it yes but there are so many specials one is never sure.

I remember losing money betting there were not any 8 volt lead acid batteries in the stores seems there were made to improve lights on the donkey engine start side booms came with instructions on how to reset control box. This taught me a lesson and from then no bets.

I thing some apologies are in order. If every answer was to have every variation listed then the reader would complain they could not work out what to do. I think the concise answer with "usually" added was the correct method.

I thought star delta was used where you want a reduced start up current and reduced torque, usually around a third of that of DOL delta.

I'm beginning to wonder now when I think about it...I have connected up several in pumping stations, and was always led to believe by the mechanical chaps, that it was to aid starting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back