Some advice about replacing windows and side door on garage.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

this project has been on the horizon for sometime, and we are finally going to sort it out over easter.

Current Situ:
5.7M X 4.9M prefab garage with a very leaky roof, 5 single pane windows with rotting wooden frames, and a so so wooden door that is also rotting.

The roof I won't cover here in detail, but we are replacing it with 6M runs of 25mm polycarbonate sheets.

I'm not really worried about the roofing.

My query is with the best way to replace the windows and side door.

If you don't know how the windows are secured in a prefab garage, I will try and explain - the concrete posts have metal plates that when vertical do not hold anything in, but if you loosen off the nut and turn the plate horizontal it then holds the window in place - so it should be easy enough to get the old ones out......

The window openings measure 111CM X 69cm

Now would I be best to get purely a sealed unit with no frame, and just batten it out from the inside with some wood?

Or am I best to get a sealed unit with a white PVC Frame, and possibly not need any battening from the inside?

I guess my slight concern is that if the frame is too deep, it might stick out beyond the metal securing plate on the concrete pillars.

Anyone else done this on a garage??

Also, whateve route I choose, how would you recommend creating a seal between the glass or frame and the garage - I assume a bit old bead of silicone sealant?

And can anyone recommend any suppliers please, I will try some local suppliers, at the moment the best we have found is a website called www.windowsanddoors.co.uk - any comments on these people??

The door opening measures 113cm wide by 211cm high, and the current door size is 84cm X 188CM high.

Any recommendations of the best place to find a door and frame.....?

Many thanks

Dan

Sponsored Links
You should always put s/units in a proper frame or they will break down in no time. sit the frames back a little from the outside face of the wall this will give you room for a trim and seal on the out side. The frame may now project into the room a little but this can easily be trimmed up you could then put a batten round and then cover with pvc trim.
1130mm is quite wide for a door but not a prob supply only price should be about £350 ish get them localy they'll do you a deal on the trim/sealer then and you'll make a contact for incase you have a problem.

Thanks for your reply dattwell,

duly noted on the frame situation - thanks for that, and yes I will speak to some local companies and see what they come up with.

I might need to space the door out anyhow, so it might end up narrower than that, but I think I need to get someone round to measure up and qoute us really.

Cheers

Dan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back