Changing Wooden to UPVC side Door on garage - lintel needed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The wooden side door in our garage is disintegrating - i've already replaced the windows, but the door frame is supporting one of the roof joists in the centre of it. The door frame is 940mm wide; if i where to replace with a UPVC door will i need a lintel above it or will the frame be strong enough to support the weight? it's a 6.5x4.5m garage, with an OSB and fibreglass coated roof. there are actually two wooden beams across the top of the existing door frame to raise to the right height to support the joist at the moment, so i would probably leave those in place and screw the frame into them - it should be noted through that these wooden supports are not secured to anything except the door frame atm.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Can you post a pic?
It may give us a better idea.
You might also get a better response, if this was posted in the 'Building' section :)

Thanks for your reply - photos may well help! i've attached some here. I fitted the fascia boards recently - they are full boards, not covers as the original wood was rotten and twisted. i think they decided to extend the garage length when building, as the "pillar" on the left of the door (inside view) looks like it doesn't tie in to the outside, but the right hand pillar does.
IMG_0022.jpg
IMG_0024.jpg

Sponsored Links
I would be tempted to put in a concrete lintel. From your photos, it would apear to be relatively straight forward to do.
The uPVC frames usually have aluminium or galvanised steel reinforcement, and may be adequate to support that joist. But for peace of mind and if you should ever sell your house, the lintel will at least look 'Propper' :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back