Replacing a wooden door & surround with a PVC door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone help me with the following query.

I live in a 60's house, and I am looking to replace the existing wooden door and surround with a the UPVC equivilents. I have checked the current door, and there is no concrete lintel above the door. Having spoken with a local builder, he said that it was/is quite common for houses of this age not to have lintels, and that the wooden frame forms part of the support for the bricks above the door frame.

I understand that UPVC does not have the same properties, and that in the best case scenario, if I do not put a lintel in would be that the frame would sag, and the door could jam. I am also informed that if I do not put in a lintel, the bricks above the door could fall out.

Can you confirm any of these theories, and advise me how I go about putting in a lintel please.

Thank you

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back