replacing old wooden french doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I need to replace an old set of patio french doors in a 1930s bungalow with cavity walls. These are the original wooden doors (well past their best). There is a 'soldier' course of bricks above the window but no visible sign of a lintel.
My question is how best to remove the old window frame and replace with a new frame without risking the brickwork sagging? If there is no lintel on the outer wall should I somehow prop the soldier course first and then remove the frame, or remove the frame, check for a lintel and then put in the replacement frame?
Are there thin steel lintels available that I could insert between the replacement frame and the brickwork without first knowing the size of the cavity?

many thanks

Dave

Sponsored Links
The soldier course may by fixed to an insitu concrete lintel by wall ties at the back. If you are carefull and are replacing the old frame with a timber one you might get away without losing the soldiers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back