Window Lintels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

As I am a soft Midlander I am waiting for Spring to replace my two front windows with 3 pane bays. In the meantime I would like some advice as to what lintels are available. Currently the windows are on a gable end wall and are aluminium in a wooden frame. The house has no cavity and has an internal lintel. Above the frames is a row of soldiers, then tile then brickwork. I appreciate the need to accrow the wall when removing the frames but what options are available for fitting a lintel? What type, and are any available that are one course deep so as not to disturb the inner concrete lintel?
Cheers and thanks for your time.

Sponsored Links
what sort of lintel is there now? if you have no cavity then the one you have already should be supporting the brickwork. Removal of the frames should bequite straight forward as they will not be taking any weight. The lintel shouldnt need propping as it should have been designed to support all the wall by itself.

Thanks Thermo

The internal lintel is a concrete one, and appears to only support the internal course of brick. I have replaced windows down the side last year and when I removed the old frames the lintel only supported the inside course. But because there was only a soldier course above (bungalow) all I had to do was manufactuer a bracket to suppport this single soldier course, which happily was apporved by the building inspector. As the windows at the front are on a gable end style, there is obviously more than one soldier course above them. Do you think they will stay up on their own? As there is a double row of tiles above this course, is it these that act as a support for the outer course by resting on the inside lintel and keyed to the inner course?

Many regards

a picture would be helpful, speaks a thousand words!

Sponsored Links
I have done some similar to yours and as this is a diy forum, just to make sure use a mortar chisel or a very old screwdriver ( a wooden handle might be better than the plastic handle for safety) and gently remove the cement joint carefully above the window frame and you should hit a metal lintel flat bar, normally about 1/2" in. Having said this, it does look like a new cement just above the roof tiles drip, so maybe a smaller window was there before ??? if so, then remove the cement joint there as well if you cannot find it below.

Cheers i'll try that.
Based on my experience with replacing the side windows I just suspect there is no lintel, as the ones I changed just had the soldiers sitting on top of the frame. This is also true of the patio window as the middle bows so much the door is difficult to slide open.
I believe the window size has not changed as all the others on the street look exactly the same.
When I took the pictures I noticed that just above the tile drip there is a row of bricks that tie the inner to the outer course. Do you think these will act as a significant support above the window?

Regards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back