No Lintel

Reaction score
Country
Croatia
I want to replace my tiny bathroom window with a bigger one. For some reason a previous owner of the house took out a taller window and fitted a short one so it will mainly be a case of removing infill. The existing softwood frame is 550mm wide but I can buy a standard 600mm wide UPVC window quite cheaply. I investigated the brickwork today to see if the lintel is long enough to do its job with the wider window. I found there is no lintel. The brickwork is rendered so I could put in a concrete lintel if necessary. I have a 4" x 4" reinforced concrete fencing post which I could cut in half to support the inner and outer brickwork of the 9" wall. Do I need to do this or is the window narrow enough not to need a lintel?

Sponsored Links
I'm no expert, but I'd say you always need a lintel otherwise the window frame is potentially carrying some of the load of the wall above it. Not recommended!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back