New UPVC required - but no lintels -

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I plan to get my old single glazed wooden windows replaced.

I had a sneaky feeling there was no lintel on the outer leaf. Just a timber lintel on the inner leaf. This seems to have been confirmed by a neighbour in a similar situation who has had upvc windows installed. Their installer confirmed that there was no lintel in that instance. They are all 1930s properties built by the same builder.

In this instance, would all windows require a new lintel to be inserted? Or just the large openings?

At first I thought it would just be the large dining room window which I am swapping out for french doors. Then it occured to me that all the windows would probably require them.

Would this be the case? If so what type of lintel is normally installed. Is it usually the slim metal lintels that are just slotted in so to speak or does it normally require somthing with more heft?

How much does this usually add to the overall cost per window?

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Anything over 600mm wide I would always advise of fitting a lintel, either a single skin catnic or some angle iron, expect to pay around £150/200 more per item

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back