Front door replaced, no support?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve had my old wooden framed front door replaced with a new composite one. From the outside it has a stone lintel. When the fitter removed the old wood frame, there was a soldier course above that fell down.

He then fitted the new frame and door. He said the solider course was just an “infill” and wasn’t supporting anything, and that it can be just covered over with plasterboard now.

I’m slightly worried as I can see the joist is now not resting on anything and neither is the internal brickwork, is this right?

I’ve attached a photo of looking up, above the door. The stone lintel you can see is the external skin of the wall, if that makes sense.

Attachments

• IMG_9077.jpeg
    IMG_9077.jpeg
    435.6 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_9062.jpeg
    IMG_9062.jpeg
    167.5 KB · Views: 72
Sponsored Links
It's not easy to see anything from the photo. Is the joist you refer to, supporting the upstairs floor?

If you are going to plasterboard it, make sure you stuff the void with insulation otherwise it will get very cold.

I assume it is supporting the upstairs floor, but not sure how to check? Should there not be any kind of lintel on the inside if there is a stone lintel on the outside?

I’m worried that the bricks and joist both have no support?

Attachments

• IMG_9077.jpeg
    IMG_9077.jpeg
    376.9 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Ok let me take more, it’s quite a difficult spot to take photos of.

Your window fitter bodger has made a right mess of that coving. Have a good look above-often with timber doors/windows there will be a timber lintel 1 or 2 courses above the top of the doorframe, if that's still there then you have less to worry about. If all you can see is bricks then don't panic, it won't fall down today but it will need a lintel in there.
Annoyingly, FENSA and CERTASS don't cover structural deficiencies in their certification. Next time you want a door or windows fitted, get a builder to do it.

EDIT Who wants to fit a widow? :)

I wouldn't expect a floor joist to be supported by your old wooden door frame

To take better photos, shine a flashlight into the darkness when you shoot. Or take a video and poke the phone up into the hole (with its light on). Move it slowly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back