Replacing wooden door with upvc - Urgent help needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I intended on replacing my back door with a UPVC one I have acquired. The house is circa 1890 build with no cavity and from the outside a stone lintle is present.

On starting to remove the door frame (which sits level with the inner skin of brickwork) it has become apparent that there is no lintle on the inner skin, the top of the door frame extends either side into the brickwork presumably to hold up the brickwork.

To fit the new door this wooden "lintle" needs removing but I'm assuming upvc isn't suitable for supporting brickwork.

How would I approach this? I had thought of moving the top part of the door frame up one course of bricks and leaving it in situ to support the wall.

There is 4 courses of bricks before the course that is 'end on' above the frame. I assume that these end-on bricks that bridge both skins will offer some support to the wall...

Any advice gratefully received as I have a large hole in my wall now where a door should be and no uprights for the door frame so I'm kinda past the point of no return.

Sponsored Links
you need a reinforced concrete lintel, built into the brickwork, to replace the wooden head. You can get them at builders merchants and DIY sheds, you will probably find one to fit but if need be you can trim a little off with an angle grinder (but better not to)

get evrything ready before you puill the old one out.

Most likely it will not fall down but you may have a few loose bricks that need remortaring.

you should have a slight gap between the PVC frame and the lintel so that it can't put any weight on it. You seal this later.

Cheers for your reply.

What width lintel would you advise? The opening is 94cm wide.

Cheers,

Ian

just measure the gap and go to the merchant. they will have them in sizes to fit common doors and windows.

I find it easier to leave a good finger's depth between the top of the lintel and the underside of the bricks, then you can pack mortar tightly into it.

some people use bits of slate to pack gaps.

Sponsored Links
Are you aware the work your doing is notifyable to your local Building Control who should inspect it & issue a certificate of compliance which you will need to produce when you come to sell!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back