Some help on roof insulation please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are having a considerable work carried out on our house. Prior to the work starting we lived in the house and it was incredibly cold so it is so important that we get the insulation right. We have great builders but I have found out that they have done the following:

instead of using 100mm insulation quilt in the roof space they have used "100mm sound insulation". Is sound insulation as good as insulation quilt.?

Also I have quite a concern on what they have done when retiling the roof. The underside of the roof had exposed joists in the room and plasterboard was between the joists. From the outside in the roofers have put: Tile, breathable membrance, 45mm fibreglass insulations. Under this is the original plasterboard(which is in the room as noted above) 100mm celotex has then been added under the original plasterboard then new plasterboard added on top of the celotex. Is this likely to cause a problem with condensation - is this what is called a hybrid roof?

Any help/advice you can offer is much appreciated. :D

Sponsored Links
Yup, from what I remember that is a hybrid roof.

As long as there is a vapour control layer between the plasterboard and the insulation that should keep the condensation away.

Hopefully there is a counter-batten or a gap from the top of the rafter to the face of the upper insulation to allow drape of the underlay or if the underlay is laid directly over the rafters with insulation flush, a counter-batten to do the same

Your local BCO should have been consulted at the initial stage, they would then make their recommendations and will issue a certificate on completion

instead of using 100mm insulation quilt in the roof space they have used "100mm sound insulation". Is sound insulation as good as insulation quilt.?
Not sure about your hybrid roof ( :confused: ) but your loft insulation should be about 300mm thick to satisfy current reg's.

Sponsored Links
Not sure about your hybrid roof ( :confused: ) but your loft insulation should be about 300mm thick to satisfy current reg's.
Yes I don't understand where they have used what insulation. Is there a room in the roof? The threads' not at all clear.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back