Some Radiators Not heating at all .........

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Was asked to look at friends heating yesterday, said some of the radiators weren't getting warm, thought a good flush out and balancing would get things sorted.

It's only 12 months old, boiler is a oil firebird I think (very oversized) combi

Flushed all the rads out, flushed all pipes with hose on each output, good flow to each trv / lockshield

Re filled, bleed radiators (opened trv, bleed, then closed, opened lockshield, bleed - making sure no air locks)

Balanced all the valves, turned all trv to 5, turned boiler back on, doh, still same problem.

Two rads very hot, others cold. Switched off all rads, leaving only one on that was cold, made no difference, still cold.

Two things I am thinking, the brighspark who fitted the boiler, flow is 22mm, but return is 15mm, guessing this isn't going to help ? it's reduced on the fitting on the boiler, think in the book is says the return is 1" - does that sound right.

My other thought ..... my friend, in his wisdom to save some money, did the pipework to the rads himself, all John Guest speedfit, I am wondering if he has put the rest of the rads on one side of the flow / two return, ie two flows / returns.

Water defiantly comes out of both pipes, so no blockages, can't think of any easy way to test the pipes to see if they are both on the same side ?

Everyone's help appreciated

Thanks, Paul

Sponsored Links
Did the system work properly, or started playing up after your friend re-piped?

How much of the return is 15mm? If he has rads totalling more than 15,000BTU, then 15mm shouldn't be used for flow and return.

System has never worked, was storage heaters before, he bought the rads, and fitted the pipework, copper tails to the rads, john guest back the the boiler, guy who fitted the boiler ran 22mm flow from the boiler to the 22mm john guest, but 15mm from return on boiler to 15mm john guest, for some reason told my mate only to fit 22mm for flow, so that's what he did.

6 rads + towel rad, so not sure on the btu's

Thanks for help so far,

Paul

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back