Some retailers should be shot.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A year ago, I did a job for a client that involved fitting a ceiling light fitting in a tiny shower room.

The client came back with a fitting described by the retailer as suitable for any location, except inside a shower tray, unless a gasket is fitted.

When I unpacked the light fitting, it specifically stated "Only suitable for zone 3"

So, I rang the manufacturer to double check this and they confirmed. Further, they told me that there was no such gasket for mounting the fitting over a shower tray. Armed with this, I rang the retailer to see if he had any suitable fittings.

"Do you know, young man, I've been selling light fittings for 30 years, and this is the first complaint I have ever had?" (Patronising b*****d!) Don't believe him anyway.

He would not have it that the light fitting was unsuitable, even after ringing the manufacturer to check. So my client returned the light fitting for a refund (initially refused) and went elsewhere.

Today, I went to fit two wall lights (amongst other things) for another client. I went last week, only to discover that the wall lights had no pull-cord switches integral, and as the feed was permanent live, and I couldn't mess up the decor, I suggested her changing them for switched fittings.

Anyhow, I called today to discover that the retailer had fitted the switches himself.

Upon examination, both brass fittings had loose arms, both had bare flex sticking out of the switch terminals (one by 12mm!), one fitting had a switch which was proud of the fitting body, so that the fitting would not sit flush with the wall, both swich mechanisms fouled the interior of the fitting so that switching was hit & miss, and last but not least, one had no earth connection whatsoever, having gone in with one.

The retailer? Surprise, surprise.....the same one!

So now the client has contacted the retailer who is denying wrong-doing, and wants to sue for non-payment - the client stopped her cheque. She meanwhile wants me to prepare a report for a possible court case. Oh, dear.

Having been in the retail trade in a previous life, I know the laws that apply to a sale like this, and the retailer has no legs at all to stand on, but is trying to bully my client into paying (the goods have been returned). What a nice man.

Another local retailer sold another client of mine a ceiling porch light fitting (without instructions, a means of suspension or a receipt) and I quote "that you could use in the shower". Very stupid, as some people take you at your word. In fact, it was only IP43, and she wanted me to fit it outside in a location exposed on all sides, and I refused, saying it should be IP44 minimum. "Oh, what's a number?" she said.

Nevertheless, when I drove past the other day, there it was, swinging in the wind...

Some retailers' attitudes really take the biscuit - they have no idea about responsibility, and when I refuse to fit substandard goods, both the retailer and the client end up ****ed off and brand me a c**p spark who doesn't know what he's doing. Can't win!

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately Secure, thats the way it goes, as some sparks can sleep at night knowing what they have done......I myself are like you, and wont take the chance, the client would be the first on the phone when the thing stops working or if something was to happen........

The customer is always right.......but only when told by someone who is right.... ;)

il

Thanks for the support!!

This kind of scenario has happened several times over the years I have been s/e.

I ALWAYS write letters to explain whatever the problem is, but it doesn't seem to help.

The public, no offence to anyone, are largely ignorant of the importance of having rules and sticking to them. All some people want is a job doing, and it does not seem to bother them as to the reason why one tradesman says "sorry, no can do" and another says "no problem" Or even worse, "he doesn't know his a*se from his elbow, of course I'll do it"

Anyway, got the last laugh.

Mrs X rang up last night to say her lantern went pop, and what was I going to do about it? What do you mean? I asked, I didn't install it. I refused, and sent you a letter explaining why. Yes you did she said. Then there was a very long pause..............................
then the line went dead.

Sponsored Links
Maybe she thought that you were holding out some amazing sparky magic on her and if she asked enough then you could make it work?

So rude of you to refuse to install the world's first shower cubicle electric chair :rolleyes:

:LOL:

But it really beggars belief that a retailer would make that suggestion in the first place....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back