Something blew in the oven!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya,

Our oven hasn't worked properly since we moved in, did a bit of Googling and it sounded like the element was dead.

I just tried fitting the new element and it went a bit wrong…

I got the new element in OK, and then turned it on while the back and front panels were off and it was out of its kitchen unit - and it worked fine! Problem solved, or so I thought!

I then screwed everything back together, put the oven back in it's unit and turned it on at the plug. Then when I turned the dial on the oven to turn it on there was a big bang and a flash of light/sparks came out of the top of the oven!

Now nothing works! Previously the grill and fan/light were working, but they don't any more!

Any ideas what I've done and how to fix it??

Thanks

Pete

Sponsored Links
You have possibly trapped/screwed through an internal wire when refitting a panel. Or caught the cable from the outlet to the cooker or it has come loose inside and shorted.

Has a fuse or circuit breaker operated ?

With regard to the fuse, we've got one of these old style boards so it's not that easy to check. But the oven's circuit still seems to be OK because the extractor fan still works (which it didn't when I turned the oven off at the isolator switch) - so I'm guessing the fuse hasn't blown there anyway?

Or should I be checking the fuse on the plug attached to the oven?

Pete

Ah - if it is a plug in oven then yes check the plugtop fuse. You will need to rectify the fault first.

Sponsored Links
OK, replaced the fuse, took everything out and started again - checked all the wiring, everything seemed OK. Put the case back on (carefully!) and it's all working just fine! Yay! Thanks

Bit worried: you say there's nothing wrong, but the fuse blew for a reason.

Please recheck all conductors again.

If there was a bang and a flash, it should be obvious where the problem is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back