Sorry another query on External/Shed wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are having a complete rewire of the house done by a contractor. However he has got ahead of us and he is likely to be finished before I have got the shed and green house built. He will leave a blank on the main consumer unit for the shed/greenhouse supply and the builders will put in a duct. If we have enough money left the electrician will also get the shed wiring job. If not I will have to do it.

The iee regs (522-10-01) state that wiring should be protected from rodents gnawing. I assume that the SWA feed from the Consumer unit to the distribution box in the shed is ok. But does this mean that I have to use metal boxes and steel conduit in the shed or are plastic boxes and conduit ok.

With the greenhouse I will have to ensure equipotential bonding of the metal frame and staging. This means running a 10mm earth back to the main earth point in the house. I am not clear if the same applies to earthing the conduit or if the earth on the 4mm SWA is acceptable. That is if metal conduit is required.

Finally have I got this right. If a RCCB is fitted to the main consumer unit there is no need to fit any other residual current devices to either the distribution panel in the shed or to any socket outlets. Indeed there is a likelihood that fitting devices in series could interfere with their performance

Many thanks for any advice given

Sponsored Links
PVC tubing and plastic accesories will be sufficient protection against fauna.

There is no need to have an RCD in the shed if you connect to the RCD side of the CU in the house, although it is preferable IMO to feed the shed from the non-RCD side in the house CU, and have a seperate RCD in the shed.

This prevents nusiance tripping of the house if there is a fault in the shed.

RCDs in series are not dangerous, but there is no discrimination, and it is not good practice, (and pointless too).

What supply earth type do you have? I don't really like the thought of a greenhouse main bonded to a TNC-S earth....

Adam_151 said:
What supply earth type do you have? I don't really like the thought of a greenhouse main bonded to a TNC-S earth....

Thanks for that. I am 95% sure it is PME , however when the contractor does the main house rewiring I will check this out. The existing 1957 wiring is a mystery :rolleyes: , There is a plywood panel with a large brass earth screw on it. Where the (bare) wires connected to it come from or go to is an unknown as they all are buried in the plaster. No labels on anything, no sign of an earth rod anywhere.

Sponsored Links
Further to the above the builder has informed me that EDF will be moving the mains supply , meter etc next week so we should know what the earth is by then.

Am I right in understanding that if the frame of the greenhouse is earthed to a PME system it can cause problems in that the PME is not a true earth but merely has a low enough Potential to trigger safety devices. So if the frame was nearer to being a true earth than the PME you could get a current to flow.

However at present the water main is metal and is tied down to the supply earth. Surely this would be cause the same problem if one exists.

Is the solution to this a separate earth rod for the greenhouse.

Denzil said:
We are having a complete rewire of the house done by a contractor. However he has got ahead of us and he is likely to be finished before I have got the shed and green house built. He will leave a blank on the main consumer unit for the shed/greenhouse supply and the builders will put in a duct. If we have enough money left the electrician will also get the shed wiring job. If not I will have to do it.

The iee regs (522-10-01) state that wiring should be protected from rodents gnawing. I assume that the SWA feed from the Consumer unit to the distribution box in the shed is ok. But does this mean that I have to use metal boxes and steel conduit in the shed or are plastic boxes and conduit ok.

With the greenhouse I will have to ensure equipotential bonding of the metal frame and staging. This means running a 10mm earth back to the main earth point in the house. I am not clear if the same applies to earthing the conduit or if the earth on the 4mm SWA is acceptable. That is if metal conduit is required.

Finally have I got this right. If a RCCB is fitted to the main consumer unit there is no need to fit any other residual current devices to either the distribution panel in the shed or to any socket outlets. Indeed there is a likelihood that fitting devices in series could interfere with their performance

Many thanks for any advice given

Have a look at this, it should cover most of your points:
http://www.iee.org/Publish/WireRegs...matters_electrical_installations_outdoors.pdf

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back