Sorting out bumps in plasterboard (due to joist hangers behind)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

Where I have heavy duty joist hangers in my flat roof, the plasterboard around it has a slight bulge to it. I feel it’s too much to even out with plaster.

How can I resolve this? Notch a bit out of the back of the plasterboard to accommodate the hanger, or just rasp the top to flatten it?

Although it’s fire PB, it doesn’t actually need to be.

Thanks in advance
Andy

C9E0A038-6BC0-48CF-920C-EE1C5B11F5BC.jpeg

B2DA1CC0-85D8-4780-8130-88566E16A5B3.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Thanks guys, the upper screws are wrong. That's an upstand for a skylight. That particular plasterboard has 35mm of insulation on the back of it and at the time of fitting I didn't have the correct PB screws for the depth, so it was just temporarily fitted with wood screws.

Think i'll try gouging the back of the board. Ta

Thanks guys, the upper screws are wrong. That's an upstand for a skylight. That particular plasterboard has 35mm of insulation on the back of it and at the time of fitting I didn't have the correct PB screws for the depth, so it was just temporarily fitted with wood screws.

Think i'll try gouging the back of the board. Ta
Looks like its going to be tight as the backside of the plasterboard is already level with the rest of the ceiling if that don't work then maybe adjust the hanger

Was a bit of a faff, but much more lever after gouging. Still a bit of a bump but I should be able to sort that out with the skin.

Extra long PB screws for the skylight sorted too :)

Thanks folks

12B5AAFE-9F69-4CA9-BED0-6E08166438DB.jpeg

Attachments

• DDAA40BA-38CA-4EB0-AE92-BBA677E0A939.jpeg
    DDAA40BA-38CA-4EB0-AE92-BBA677E0A939.jpeg
    187.3 KB · Views: 48
Was a bit of a faff, but much more lever after gouging. Still a bit of a bump but I should be able to sort that out with the skin.

Extra long PB screws for the skylight sorted too :)

Thanks folks

View attachment 255663
Have you thought about packing the other sheet of plasterboard out To level it out ? either that or level it out with bonding before skimming

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back