Sound Bar Advice

Thanks everyone for your replies. I know a great deal more about sound Bars than I did a week ago. The replies raise a lot more questions for me to research the answers to.
I have used this DIYnot web site for many years and I think it is a fantastic medium to chat to people far more knowledgable than myself on various subjects. The old question of "Who can I talk to about (xxxxx)" is usually resolved. A few years ago, the site was in danger of being ruined by replies from smart arses who were hell bent on being abusive, some may remember a contributor by the name of Joe 90 who's sole aim in life seemed to be to get peoples backs up. Not heard from him for a while thankfully.
All of your replies have been so helpful for which I thank you all so much.

Sponsored Links
I am fancying this Sound bar:-
https://www.amazon.co.uk/HISENSE-So...08DJ8P377/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
Any Comments from all of you Knowledgeable guys ????
One question, in my ignorance, I expected to plug the thing into my HDMI/ARC output from my TV and away we go, so what is the speaker hand controller used for, I thought the sound would all be controlled from my TV controls. Demonstrating my ignorance here - Sorry.

ARC: Your TV outputs sound via ARC at a volume level to match to match what you select using your TV remote control - so you set the bar volume once and then use the TV remote.

Optical: your TV sends out the volume from the TV optical output at a set (loud) volume - you then use the Bar remote to control the volume (TV remote makes no diffrence).

Bluetooth (from say your phone): your phone sends out the sound level based on the volume control on your phone, and you use the Bar remote to control the volume of teh bar (Normmal set to say 80% volume on the Bar and let the phone set the volume).

Linein (from say your CD player) you CD player sends out the sound level based on the volume control on your CD player, and you use the Bar remote to control the volume of the bar (Normaly set to say 80% volume on the Bar and let the CD set the volume).

In summary...
Bar remote is also used to set up the bar, and select where the soudn is coming from (ARC, Optical or Bluetooth).

SFK

Sponsored Links
So the one I can get for £50 at Asda is no good then?
lolz....

I am fancying this Sound bar:-
https://www.amazon.co.uk/HISENSE-So...08DJ8P377/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
Any Comments from all of you Knowledgeable guys ????
One question, in my ignorance, I expected to plug the thing into my HDMI/ARC output from my TV and away we go, so what is the speaker hand controller used for, I thought the sound would all be controlled from my TV controls. Demonstrating my ignorance here - Sorry.

Argos sells this for £99. That's handy because there are Argos stores nationwide and I think they still have their 21-day no quibble guarantee.

ARC can be a two-handed set up: Selecting the ARC input on the sound bar with its remote first, then going to the the menus on the TV with its remote to enable HDMI Control and then direct sound to go to a home cinema rather that the TV speakers. (This can also be useful if you wish to switch back and forth from the soundbar to the TV speakers.)

ARC works well for me, but HDMI Control doesn't switch off my sound system when the TV goes off. I have to do that with the amp remote. Power On and volume +/- work flawlessly though.

Give that sound bar a whirl and see how you get on.

So the one I can get for £50 at Asda is no good then?
lolz....
You are the one to judge that Mattylad.
Seriously though - What do you think, I'm struggling to make a decision , the more I read the more I get confused.

the more I read the more I get confused.
you maybe at the point know where less reading and go and listen,
When i worked in a very large hi-fi shop in SE london , often people would come in having done lots of reading, magazine then "What Hifi" etc , specs , and once they started listening and comparing things changed a lot. Quite often if it came down to a choice between a couple of units, then how it fitted in with decor and the looks took over.

have you at least got a shortlist of ones you like the look of , will fit in the room and in front of your TV and which will work decor wise??

You are the one to judge that Mattylad.
Seriously though - What do you think, I'm struggling to make a decision , the more I read the more I get confused.

Oh it really was crap, went back the same day. All soundbars the supermarket sell at about £50 were total crap.
When they only connect via bluetooth the lag is awful, the sound is really bad too.

Thanks mattylad, clearly in these cases you get what you pay for. In some cases though, you pay £200 and get £50 quality.

you maybe at the point know where less reading and go and listen,
When i worked in a very large hi-fi shop in SE london , often people would come in having done lots of reading, magazine then "What Hifi" etc , specs , and once they started listening and comparing things changed a lot. Quite often if it came down to a choice between a couple of units, then how it fitted in with decor and the looks took over.

have you at least got a shortlist of ones you like the look of , will fit in the room and in front of your TV and which will work decor wise??
Thanks for the advice ETAF, clearly your experience is far greater than I will ever have, and your advice is invaluable.
I find demonstrations in the shop are not really representative as to what you get in your own home. Room shape and furnishings effect everything. Similarly when you get a demo of a TV in store. The picture they get is not the picture you are going to get at home, they use memory sticks with UHD and selective subject matter , ask to see the TV using aerial or Satellite signal source and invariably they reply that they don't have that signal source available.

agreed, however, you are comparing in the same environment , so sometimes that will give you something to compare.
There are quite a few settings & setup on various TV's so your right , BUT again often comparing full HD from a DVD will help do the compare on how the TV responds to a similar source
BUT I do understand the concern , and comments, and pays your money take your choice

However, unless you are paying for top end 1000's , your not going to get in home demos and you need to break the deadlock somehow

agreed, however, you are comparing in the same environment , so sometimes that will give you something to compare.
There are quite a few settings & setup on various TV's so your right , BUT again often comparing full HD from a DVD will help do the compare on how the TV responds to a similar source
BUT I do understand the concern , and comments, and pays your money take your choice

However, unless you are paying for top end 1000's , your not going to get in home demos and you need to break the deadlock somehow
Totally agree. I need to grab the Bull by the horns and go for it.
After all, £100 is not a great deal of money to test the water.
Thanks again for your Help.

whats your shortlist and why
what limitations on size etc, SubWoofer size
Max Budget, is that £200.
Did you want to be able to play music off a phone or computer, will it be ONLY for the TV sound , not used for music at all.

whats your shortlist and why
what limitations on size etc, SubWoofer size
Max Budget, is that £200.
Did you want to be able to play music off a phone or computer, will it be ONLY for the TV sound , not used for music at all.
My short list presently is the Hisense HS 214 2.1, Samsung HW S60s, LG SK1 and TCL TS 8111. These seem to be reasonable prices and reasonable reviews.
I have a hight limitation of 9.4 cms, any bigger and I would need to raise the TV wall bracket and I would rather not do that. Mrs Hysteresis has a big issue with a sub woofer both in size and wiring requirements so I would need to have any sub woofer in the sound bar. I know this limits the performance but Mrs Hysteresis insiste on cosmetics before performance. The Budget is £200 but even that is stretching Mrs H's patience. I have no requirement to play Music off a phone or computer and as such will be only for the TV sound which would include music.
I have read about SOund delay from the video and this worries mr as even a small delay would be unacceptably annoying, another issue which bothers me is the sound variation with some soundbars when using different programmes/cnannels.
I would also prefer to have the soundbar controlled via my TV remote.
Am I being to demanding od such a cheap sound bar?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back