Sound proofing a wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I have in an old 1950's house which was completly refurbished. However since my new neighbours have moved in I really can't relax in the evenings any more. My loungea and their lounge are seperated by one wall. For some reason it does not offer much noise surpression at all. I can often here what the neighbours are talking about and they are not even talking loud. There TV is very noisey too and I find it hard to concentrate as I can again almost recognise the words that are on the TV.

Apart from buying some earplugs or noise canceling headphones (which I may do).
How much would it cost to sound proof a wall?

Sponsored Links
Unlikely to be thru wall , if you have vents near neighbours or shared chimney air born sound is far more likely .

Unlikely to be thru wall , if you have vents near neighbours or shared chimney air born sound is far more likely .

I don't understand your termanology but the wall does have a shared chimney either side of it (well not on my side as we took it down and my house is a mid terrance house). Maybe that was not a great idea now..

Is it just in the living room or upstairs too?

I find it strange that you can hear your new neighbours but not your old ones? Are the new ones elderly or hard of hearing?

Remember if you can hear them they can hear you so they might have turned their TV up to drown you out , I would be having a friendly chat with them about this

Sponsored Links
I don't really notice it upstairs no. Well you raise a good point maybe they have moved the TV up against the wall. I'm just very sensative to noise. I'm generally a very quite neighbour so doubt they would have turned it up. I feel like I have lost a bit of privacy in my own house as if I can hear them they can hear me.

I think i'll just wear some ear plugs cheap option. Long term I plan to rent the house out anyway.

Yeah anything else the costs will start to rise.

You could build a partition away from the problem wall (an air gap is an excellent sound insulator) fill the partition with earthwool or similar then the use soundbloc plasterboard over that

However you will probably need to do between the ceiling joists and between the floor joists if you have a suspended floor if you want to make a notable difference

Not only do the costs start to rack up you will shrink your living room by a good few inches

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back