Soundproofing for ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a garage conversion that we completed in 2013, all to building regs etc. It was actually a new build house in 2010 and our garage is underneath our neighbours 'coach house' (basically an apartment above mine and his garage). The conversion is now our dining room and utility room and is under his bedrooms.

I'm concerned about soundproofing, although he isn't worried,he can hear occasional noises like our TV, and this will get worse as kids get older.

Currently there is a concrete floor, about 100mm gap sparsely filled with rockwool and then fireproof plasterboard for our ceiling.

Can this be improved? I was thinking of pulling down existing board and putting in acoustic insulation and acoustic plasterboard? Or even a second ceiling underneath with a insulated void as room is quite tall.

What's best/easiest without causing mayhem!!

Sponsored Links
Is ceiling height an issue? How much could you afford to lose?

Through the ceiling is only one of the routes for the sound.

Consider what sort of sound you are insulating against - airborne, structure borne or impact sound transmission. Impact sound insulation would need to be on the top of the floor above. Airborne sound - make sure gaps are sealed. If you look on British Gypsum website they have details for upgrading sound insulation of existing floors. Sound can also travel up or down walls of course.

It's our ceiling, his floor. The main concern would be airborne sounds from our TV and electric piano. Ceiling height isn't an issue.

Wondering if putting another layer of plasterboard straight onto existing ceiling maybe with a membrane in between?

Sponsored Links
There are various fancy membranes but I think they’re only really appropriate if you need the minimise the thickness. If you’ve got plenty of space, consider resilient bars plus a couple of layers of plasterboard. But do beware of other routes for the sound. I had a quite mad upstairs neighbour who used to open her windows and sing loudly; the sound came back in through my windows.

False ceiling and a void full of rockwool will help and be relatively cheap, clever fixings to isolate the ceiling from the walls will help even more

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back