SP or DP?

Sponsored Links
:) Probably. But that's mostly because they would only unplug something after use because they happen to want to move it or plug something else in. I doubt 'being sensible' often comes into it.

Sponsored Links
:) Probably. But that's mostly because they would only unplug something after use because they happen to want to move it or plug something else in. I doubt 'being sensible' often comes into it.
Probably true - but, fortunately, the end result is the same.

Indeed, I would think it pretty unusual that people would pull the plug of something (that represented an appreciable load) that was 'still running' - I actually struggle a bit to think of what sort of things people would think of doing that with.

Kind Regards, John

Glad to be the initiator, if not the author of such a fascinating discussion.

I posted about the arcing a while back, after one day noticing that when I operated the switch in question it "crackled", and there was an accompanying noise from somewhere else in the house. The noise turned out to be the electric shower, which was jerking its electrical gizzards and firing a few drops of water out each time the guilty switch was turned on or off.

I was advised then to change the socket because the switch shouldn't be arcing, and several months later I've at last got round to it.

Are you saying turning off a wall socket was affecting the shower

Iron ? Hoover ?
Irons are rather interesting one since, at least in my experience, many (most?) don't seem to actually have an on/off switch - so, if it's an unswitched socket, they have no option other than to pull the plug when it's 'on'.

However, I would not think that many would unplug a vacuum cleaner whilst it was running, would they?

Kind Regards, John

That seems daft - since that one 'exception', alone, surely removes any point in the regulation, doesn't it? Any socket-outlet can surely be 'switched' by withdrawal of the plug, can't it?

Kind Regards, John
See https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Australian_Socket-Outlet,_Auto_Switched.jpg

File:Australian_Socket-Outlet,_Auto_Switched.jpg

"Removing the plug opens the contacts in the socket to provide the same level of safety as a conventional switched socket when switched off.

Automatically switched socket outlets are most commonly used to supply power to refrigerators, some computers and other accessories that normally should not be switched off.
The absence of a switch prevents the accidental switching off of such devices."

I do remember a socket where after plugging in you turned the plug which made the switch, and to remove you pressed a red button
socket.jpg
however other than GEC Large Steam Turbines I have not seen them used. I am sure however if you move around the world there are other examples of where the user is forced to plug in then switch on, and switch off then unplug which is really a good idea, however unless forcing the user to switch off first, then no real point having the switch.

And with a 13A plug and socket there is nothing to stop the user removing while still energised.
The 16A sockets at some caravan sites are similar- insert and twist to connect, push button and twist to disconnect

Our 300 mA two pin IT bathroom sockets are often switched on/off by the inserting and removing of the plug, but that has nothing to do with arcing, it is simply to remove supply to isolation transformer when not in use.

.... Automatically switched socket outlets ..... "Removing the plug opens the contacts in the socket to provide the same level of safety as a conventional switched socket when switched off.
Indeed - it looks as if my (essentially 'sarcastic') comment was too 'subtle' to be understood! ....

... my comment was really about the wording of the regulation, pointing out that it could be read to mean that the act of withdrawing the plug (from an unswitched socket) was deemed to constitute 'switching'!
Automatically switched socket outlets are most commonly used to supply power to refrigerators, some computers and other accessories that normally should not be switched off. ... The absence of a switch prevents the accidental switching off of such devices."
Those are some of the situations (and reasons) in which unswitched sockets are used over here.

Probably the most common use of unswitched sockets is where there is a (slightly) 'remote' switch - most commonly a switch above a kitchen worktop feeding an unswitched socket for an appliance below the worktop. It's not totally clear from what you said about your regs as to whether that would be allowed in Australasia? - I suppose it depends upon the interpretation if "as close as practicable".

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back