Shower coming on with socket.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bit of a mystery—to me, anyhow.

We have one circuit serving all our ground floor sockets, and a separate circuit ( I hope) serving the electric shower.The system was checked and certificated following updating of the earthing and fitting of a new CU in 2014.

Today I was using a socket in the front bedroom (it's a bungalow). When I turned the power off at the wall the switch “caught” slightly, so didn’t go off with the usual "click". As it did so I heard an unusual noise from elsewhere in the property. Cut a long story short, I traced the noise: the isolator to the electric shower had been left on, and when the socket in the bedroom was switched off in a way that made it catch, the shower momentarily switched on and the head ejected water. How can this be?

(the socket in question is one of those adaptors that makes one socket into two.)

Sponsored Links
What kind of shower is it?

Electric shower - 8, 9, 10kW
or power shower using already heated water?

Sponsored Links
It was a standard single wall socket...not sure what the official name for them is. I fitted one of those "one socket into two" adaptors a couple of years back. Haven't had any problems since, till today (if today IS a problem)

Yes, I'm sure you're right. Its not that old, but definitely "catches" as you switch it off. Would that cause the shower to momentarily come on, though?

Electrical arcing can cause all kinds of unwanted things - it's wideband interference which can affect any electronic device. Including those which belong to your neighbours.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back