socket tripping shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i was asked to look at a problem in a barber shop i am a second year apprentice electrician having just completed my exams practical and theory so i am confident working before any one asks!the barbers has three radial socket circuits and a shower circuit all protected by 63a rccb,the problem is one of the socket circuits when on will cause the rccb to trip thus turning off the electric shower!the barber is forced to leave one socket circuit dead in order to use the electric shower?can anyone shed some light on this?would be very greatful cheers

Sponsored Links
Theory ;- there is a fault on the radial that trips the RCCB

Practical ; use a meter to find the fault.

Check that the neutrals are in the correct terminals if it is a split load board.

i was also told to install an rcbo but would this be necesecary?cheers for your quick reply

Sponsored Links
Is it a split load board?
Still, I'd look at fixing the fault first ;). A correctly connected RCBO would just trip the socket circuit in the event of a fault.

Whatever the location or arrangement, if a power radial is tripping the rccb then there is a fault on that radial that needs to be found and fixed. You could start by shortening the radial at each of the sockets, one by one, by disconnecting the outgoing cable from either end first, to isolate where the fault is.

In a commercial or industial installation with radial circuits, RCBOs are a good start.

The loss of production caused by a general RCD trip losing other circuits will outweigh the cost of the RCBO.

This is true regardless of the (obvious) need to trace and correct the fault.

What make is the CU?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back