RCCB Tripping - what are the possibilities?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My RCCB protection circuit tripped overnight last night - found out when i woke up this morning as none of my sockets were working - the lights still work and got the telephone socket to work but all other sockets still out - noticed that the main electric shower switch works but when you hit one of the switches on the shower unit itself the RCCB/RCD trips

I've isolated the MCBs causing it to trip as per attached pics - not sure what to do now - guy at B&Q said to have a look at my sockets, particularly the garage as water may have caused the issue - i have one double socket and an old tube light in the garage - just noticed that this tube light does not work now so i'm guessing this has something to do with it - if this is the case, how do i go about fixing it myself - i'm just a diy'er, hoping i don't have to call an electrician?

Appreciate your guidance.

Sponsored Links
Firstly, you need to label that consumer unit. Loving the labelling on that, U and D. Whats that about? :confused:

Then you might have an idea of which MCB controls which circuit.

Telephone socket is nothing to do with this, its supplied by BT. :LOL:

Are you saying that the RCD trips when the 3 MCBs (that are currently off) are turned on? If so this sounds quite serious. Either this or its a neutral-earth fault somewhere. First find out what each of the MCBs does or we're ****ing in the dark with this one.

Oh, and please dont go to B&Q for technical advice again. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

yeah, labelling doesn't help - i can confirm that all 3 mcbs that are down cause the rccb to trip - the U & D are the main upstairs & downstairs circuits (not the lights as these are the other U&D that you see) - as for the third one down, don't know what that is due to no labelling - yeah, i'd like to meet the guy who installed this for sure!

what would be a best next step to take?

Sponsored Links
Since you have three circuits that all appear to be faulty, I'd call in an electrician. Normally on one circuit, I'd suggest checking suspect appliances such as kettle, old fridge, immersion, pond pump, boiler etc. But in this case, it seems to be a wiring fault which would need proper test equipment.

How are you powering your computer? :cool:

If you feel up to it, can you take the cover off the consumer unit (two plastic screws left and right, cover will lift off) and take a photo? Beware even with the mainswitch off (right hand side), its top incoming terminals will still be live. We might eb able to tell a bit about the installation then. But please, only do this if you feel confident doing so, and with the mainswitch off.

there is one relatively new double socket downstairs on a separate mcb - this is the only power i've got now, although this one was tripping a bit earlier today and still does intermittently - hence the delay in this reply. (this is how i'm powering my computer).

have added the pic you were after with the cover off - same link:

//www.diynot.com/network/cuchulainn/albums/4346

I'm leaning towards a faulty RCD. It is quite an old design. An electrician will be able to test it, doing something called a ramp test, which applies an increasing fault current to it in isolation. He can then see what figure it is tripping at. RCD about £40, plus an hours labour, £70 total I reckon. Any more and you're being done.

Steve, thanks a lot , appreciate it - have called an electrician so will tell him this when he arrives - thanks again

Steve, thanks a lot , appreciate it - have called an electrician so will tell him this when he arrives - thanks again

Just realised where you are. Labour could be a bit more down there. Dont be too shocked! :(

One problem with labels - they can be ignored !

Like :- 'Switch Off before removing this cover'

2 faults is all it takes !!

:rolleyes:

It appears there are 3 neutrals going to the non rcd side N bar but only 2 mcbs on that RHS half of the board!
If one of the Neutrals has its mcb on the RCD end it will cause a trip, even if not on the incorrectly wired circuit.
As the busbar pins are not all shrouded you should turn off main switch before doing any other work, since they are easy to touch,
regards

It appears there are 3 neutrals going to the non rcd side N bar but only 2 mcbs on that RHS half of the board!
Yes!
And the LH of the MCBs has 2 lives coming out of it!
So 3 lives in total!
The same number as the neutrals!
So probably nothing wrong there!

:LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back