split load rccb tripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi. anyone with a straight brain to help please. ive fitted a crabtree split load c.u. On one side i have smoke alarms 1 lighting circuit and 2 ring sockets. protected by a 80amp rccb. these circuits are working and ok. on the other side 3 lighting circuits and 2 ring sockets with the other 80amp rccb. 4 of the circuits are ok. but when i connect the second ring circuit and plug anything in it trips the rccb but not the mcb. it doesnt seem to be the ring circuit itself. I disconnected it at the c.u. and put a single remote socket into the mcb and it still trips when i plug anything into it. anyone any ideas please as ive run out of cash for a pro troubleshooter. thanks

Sponsored Links
Before you fitted the cables into the new CU, what Zs readings did you get and what IR reading did you get for each circuit??????????????

Small Scotty Dog has it right. Make sure all neutral conductors are connected to the corresponding busbar. it sounds like there is an imbalance on that ring final, ie the neutrals of that "faulty" circuit are not connected through the same RCD as the lines.

Sponsored Links
Small Scotty Dog has it right. Make sure all neutral conductors are connected to the corresponding busbar. it sounds like there is an imbalance on that ring final, ie the neutrals of that "faulty" circuit are not connected through the same RCD as the lines.

will check the neutrals in the morning and will let you know thanks for the help and will get back to you

thanks westie and securespark. you were spot on. i had put the last 2 neutrals on the main switch neurtral bar and not on the rccb bar. great info and so i can sleep tonight

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back