Junction box/fused spur/socket

One is not correct.

Can you seriously not think of a reason for not using the wrong names of things?
English is a rich language, there are lots of ways to say the same thing with different words or phrases. This isn't a purely technical context, its about the relationship between professional and diyer, as is this forum.

Sponsored Links
English is a rich language,
Irrelevant. Words mean things.

there are lots of ways to say the same thing with different words or phrases.
Yes, but this isn't one of them.

This isn't a purely technical context, its about the relationship between professional and diyer, as is this forum.
The OP didn't call it a ring main; you did. He might not have realised it is wrong.

The OP didn't call it a ring main; you did. He might not have realised it is wrong.

Thanks for all advice so far…
So just for clarity, if this junction box serves other sockets on different 2.5 te wires particularly if it looks to spur from a spur, it would be safe to put in and FCU on each spur wire prior to the first socket?
Is there any disadvantage to dropping to 1.5mm TE for the sockets after the FCU or is it potentially preferable to stick with 2.5TE throughout?

Sponsored Links
Others may disagree but I'd stick with 2.5 for socket wiring. I doubt the current changes will be the last ones the installation sees.

Yes "Ring Main" is often used when "Ring Final" is actually the correct term, for ring main there are two types 1/ wiring out under our roads/streets and 2/ at a generating plant etc. But so long as we know what is actually meant then fair enough. Spur is another one often ill used.
Live is another often used wrongly.

But Hey Ho, in all walks of life words are often used wrongly/
Usually there is terms in common usage, technical terms and legal meanings. Quite often those three are quite different so I feel we need to try and live with that.

Nobody speaks perfik at all times in all ways, but as long as we make ourselves understood and try our best the fair go says I. There are lots of such anomalies

If someone calls a dog a pooch or a mutt or a canine people know it means dog, if you call a dog a cat thats different.

it would be safe to put in an FCU on each spur wire prior to the first socket?
Yes, each FCU will limit the current in the spur wire to, at most, 13A (largest fuse size). At that point I believe you're safe to use 1.5mm T&E for the spur cable.
(I've, pedantically, changed your quote to say "an", not "and")

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back