Fused spur from junction box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I am assisting a family member with redecorating their living room, they wish to add an additional double socket.

Unfortunately they have concrete flooring downstairs and all power cables run in the ceiling and then down the wall to the sockets.

The chap that installed the system in 1998 used the existing conduit which meant in the area they wish to extend the circuit there is only a spur from a junction box.

I am aware that if you wish to extend a spur more than one double socket then it must be a fused spur with a 13A maximum fuse rating.

The issue I have is that the junction box upstairs is under the floor and located under a built in wardrobe. We can see that there is a junction box but would have to do some serious work to actually get our hands onto it.

Is it possible for us to place the fused spur connection unit on the end of the 3m cable that runs down from the junction box? This will still give protection to the two double sockets and cable between them but I'm just a little worried about the cable run to the junction box.

My on-site guide shows that the fused spur unit should sit in the ring but there is no way of doing that on this circuit.

I would appreciate any advice you can give.

Many thanks

Jono

Sponsored Links
Excellent that will make life a little easier.

No there is currently no RCD protection on the entire system, there will be a distribution board change very soon which will then have RCD protection.

Cheers

Jono

Any concealed cables should be RCD protected, as should sockets, so if you add any new of either.....

You should wait until after the CU is replaced.

Sponsored Links
Not a problem, we will install the new cables etc and not connect it up until the new unit is installed.

Many thanks for your help.

Jono

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back