Junction box/fused spur/socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, quick query, without all the extra info.
I want to add another double socket in a bedroom.
The socket that is in there which would ideally spur’d off is already a spur.
I’ve traced the wiring back to a junction box which also serves another set of sockets I believe to other bedrooms (I’ve to investigate this further)
Is it ok to put a fused spur between the junction box and the sockets?
Ie - JB/2.5 TE/FCU/1.5TE/2 x double socket (bedrooms x2)

Sponsored Links
Yes, but check the other sockets are not spurs on spurs

Thanks for the reply, I’m a little concerned they are likely to be spurs on spurs from what can make out, but need to trace them properly.

Sponsored Links
B32

Attachments

• 3C454518-282A-4CB9-B1BA-B25D1FFE754E.jpeg
    3C454518-282A-4CB9-B1BA-B25D1FFE754E.jpeg
    266.6 KB · Views: 18
32 amp breaker suggest a ring main, as your cable is 2.5mm2, so one double socket per spur unless protected by a FCU as I understand it.

I don't understand
Ring main was what sparkies referred to ring finals as when I had a rewire 30 plus years ago. I was just making the point about different terminology in a wider context, for example: fuse box, fuse board, consumer units, consumer’s unit etc.

When does a technical description that may not be understood by diyers/ customers become pedantry?

Ring main was what sparkies referred to ring finals as when I had a rewire 30 plus years ago. I was just making the point about different terminology in a wider context, for example: fuse box, fuse board, consumer units, consumer’s unit etc.
Yes, people are often mistaken and use the wrong words.

How will they ever learn the correct ones if you just repeat their wrong ones?

When does a technical description that may not be understood by diyers/ customers become pedantry?
That doesn't actually make sense. :)

Thanks for all advice so far…
So just for clarity, if this junction box serves other sockets on different 2.5 te wires particularly if it looks to spur from a spur, it would be safe to put in and FCU on each spur wire prior to the first socket?
Is there any disadvantage to dropping to 1.5mm TE for the sockets after the FCU or is it potentially preferable to stick with 2.5TE throughout?

What practical difference does it make whether people say ring main or ring final, both terms are understood or readily explained
One is not correct.

Can you seriously not think of a reason for not using the wrong names of things?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back