Socket Tester error only when shower is running

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening.

After testing every plug socket in the house and finding them all to be ok, I left the socket tester plugged in to a socket with the switch switched off. I didn't leave it plugged in intentionally, I'm just lazy.

Days later, I'm in the kitchen and all of a sudden the socket tester starts buzzing even though the socket is switched off. Curious. The error code (one red, pictured below) isn't listed on the tester, the plot thickens. Switching on the socket and the OK code shows, switching off and we're back to this unlisted error code.

And without warning, the error clears.

It didn't take too long to work out that when the electric shower is running the switched off socket shows this error. When the shower stops it clears. I moved the socket tester and find the same behaviour throughout the house.

It's an old house with trad wire colours, but we have a modern RCA board with the shower and the mains on different switches.

Any idea what this all means?

Sponsored Links
Do you know what make sockets you have, if not post a picture.
It may be they are single pole switched and there picking up a stray voltage between E and N, possibly induced by the high current used by the shower. if you have a multimeter you may be able to safely measure this voltage

Sounds like a high resistance earth and possibly a fault of some degree on the shower heater element to earth

I would suggest it is just an increase in PD (voltage) between N & E, due to the resistance of the neutral when it came under higher load of the shower. Nothing to worry about.

Sponsored Links
This could be a problem with a high resistance neutral (connection) to the supply.

I strongly suggest that you measure the voltage on the Neutral with respect to Earth when the shower is not in use and when it is.
If the voltage rises "significantly" you could have a faulty Neutral connection.

https://www.commerce.wa.gov.au/site..._report_-_final_version_25_september_2019.pdf details the result of a faulty neutral connection eventually going open circuit.

Do you have an earth rod/TT supply?

This could be a problem with a high resistance neutral (connection) to the supply.

I strongly suggest that you measure the voltage on the Neutral with respect to Earth when the shower is not in use and when it is.
If the voltage rises "significantly" you could have a faulty Neutral connection.

https://www.commerce.wa.gov.au/site..._report_-_final_version_25_september_2019.pdf details the result of a faulty neutral connection eventually going open circuit.

Very interesting reading. Did the girl survive? The report doesn't say whether she did or not; although the report doesn't refer to the electric shock as a "fatal electric shock".

The moral of the story is: tighten the screws fully and don't nick the conductors.

I had a lost neutral in 3ph commercial premises once (damage in the road) and the voltage zoomed up and down damaging quite a lot of stuff.

Very interesting reading. Did the girl survive? The report doesn't say whether she did or not; although the report doesn't refer to the electric shock as a "fatal electric shock".

The moral of the story is: tighten the screws fully and don't nick the conductors.
Further information at https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-09...en-tap-electrocution-report-released/11553734

This "situation" was discussed on https://www.renovateforum.com/f195/dangers-neutrals-126786/, which you may care to read.

I do hope that TM1303 is taking this information into consideration!

Last edited:
Given the advice and examples quoted, it is quite concerning that TM1303 has not responded in the 4/5 days since the original post.
One must hope that he/she has acted to locate and correct what may be a quite serious problem - and I am not joking when I write this.

A response from TM1303 would be appreciated

Sorry, please ignore my post - that'll learn me to not read the thread properly before posting!

I would suggest it is just an increase in PD (voltage) between N & E, due to the resistance of the neutral when it came under higher load of the shower. Nothing to worry about.

Sorry for not getting back to you, this is basically what the electrician said ^ and he's a good egg.

Thanks all for your concern and your input, always valued x

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back