Electric Socket no longer functioning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, on Saturday night all of the my sockets bar one stopped working. I was running a tv and electric heater of one double socket, a lamp on another double socket, charging a phone on another socket, running the microwave of another socket and oven on another socket (the oven is fairly old but is plugged in rather than wired to the mains via a 32 amp) It all seemed to happen when the microwave went on, the lights flickered and then about 30 seconds after that the sockets stopped working. I have used a socket tester and at first it was reading reverse LE, however when I switched off both the socket that controls the washer machine and another for the oven the other sockets read with 2 green LEDs however the reader buzzes intermittently. The socket for the washer machine and oven reads reverse LE. As far as I am aware the socket that runs the microwave comes of the washer machine socket. Does anyone know why this has happened in the first instance, and what possibilities remain to rectify this. Is it a case of replacing the two sockets (the oven in particular looks fairly old - could it have failed?) Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Hi Guys, on Saturday night all of the my sockets bar one stopped working. I was running a tv and electric heater of one double socket, a lamp on another double socket, charging a phone on another socket, running the microwave of another socket and oven on another socket (the oven is fairly old but is plugged in rather than wired to the mains via a 32 amp) It all seemed to happen when the microwave went on, the lights flickered and then about 30 seconds after that the sockets stopped working. I have used a socket tester and at first it was reading reverse LE, however when I switched off both the socket that controls the washer machine and another for the oven the other sockets read with 2 green LEDs however the reader buzzes intermittently. The socket for the washer machine and oven reads reverse LE. As far as I am aware the socket that runs the microwave comes of the washer machine socket. Does anyone know why this has happened in the first instance, and what possibilities remain to rectify this. Is it a case of replacing the two sockets (the oven in particular looks fairly old - could it have failed?) Thanks in advance.

is the socket that works on the same circuit? what's the power rating of the cooker? does your consumer unit have r.c.d protection ? without continuity and insulation resistance tester hard to predict. sure some of domestic guys here may shed some more light.

It's a burnt out neutral somewhere, but where I'm afraid is anyones guess.

Do you have any experience at all of working with electrical circuits?

Hi Guys I hope you had a good Christmas and New Year. I have replaced both the socket for the washer machine and the socket that was supplying the oven in the kitchen. The error I got of them when I tested was one red light and the light appeared even when the sockets were not switched on so I think the switches were not working. When I use the tester it looks as though there is only the one green light now (Missing N), the red lights up a little but I think it is the effect of the other LED on the tester that is illuminating it slightly. I have had a look at the other sockets on the circuit for lose wiring, their was one socket with a lose neutral but still in the socket which I have rectified. Could this be a problem with the consumer unit (It is an old unit) The socket that does work runs another circuit. Thanks guys.

Sponsored Links
Those plug in testers rely on there being a neutral. You gonna have to get yourself a proper tester, or a multimeter.

Some quick additional information. My aerial has blown down (although still resting on the roof) and my neighbour said that it was on the verge for a couple of weeks. Could this in any away effect the circuit if the aerial is connected to a booster or the mains for some reason or is this just a coincidence? Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back