Kitchen socket failed after wiring in new oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here's a strange one.

I've been decorating in the kitchen, and on Saturday morning I swapped over our old oven for a new one. The new oven is working well, but over on the other wall one of the sockets has stopped working.

The socket was being used for the tumble dryer, and at first I thought it had either died or the fuse had blown. Dryer works fine in another socket, it's the outlet itself which is dead.

Oven has been wired in as shown below, the switch and fuse for the socket where the tumble dryer is plugged into is shown top left.

any ideas?

ssG501f.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Have you checked any mcb’s being in the down position (sounds unlikely)? Could be coincidence your switch might have failed. Have you checked the fuse next to it?

The isolation switch on the left with the fuse. Whast does it say on the switch?
What is the value of the fuse?

Have you checked any mcb’s being in the down position (sounds unlikely)? Could be coincidence your switch might have failed. Have you checked the fuse next to it?

Nothing tripped, and fuses are all ok

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
Show us a pic of the socket that isn't working. Do you have any electrical testing instrument/s ?

Show us a pic of the socket that isn't working. Do you have any electrical testing instrument/s ?

No unfortunately not, think it's time to call out an electrician. I'm not sure how the outlet for the dryer and the oven are connected.

Did you hard wire the oven into the cooker connection unit ( the far right hand one of the 3 in your pic ) and what is connected to the middle one ( which is a fused connection unit )?

Did you hard wire the oven into the cooker connection unit ( the far right hand one of the 3 in your pic ) and what is connected to the middle one ( which is a fused connection unit )?

Yeah, oven is in far right. No idea what the middle one was ever used for. Never used it.

No unfortunately not, think it's time to call out an electrician.
If you were able to swap the oven then of course you'll be able to remove the socket and inspect it. Check for no loose connections or internal failure of the socket.

Check the fuse in it.

In the fuse board there's "kitchen appliances" which does all the sockets for fridge/washingmachine/tumbledryer/boiler/extractorfan and another one for "oven" which are the three in the photo. Would the middle fuse cause disruption to the dryer outlet? I know where the fuse is for the dryer and it's ok.

Last edited:
If you know for sure the socket is on a different circuit ,no point checking the fuse on the cooker circuit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back