Kitchen Electrics

K

kkynaston

I am in the process of sorting out my parents kitchen electrics
(with LABC involvement)

Need some advice please :D

The kitchen installer left the current set up 11 years ago:
Took out CCT (fed with 6mm) and put in 30Amp JB
Ran 2.5mm to 1 socket (over worktop), then to another (To supply gas ignition and fridge), then another (over worktop). The last socket on the leg has the double oven wired into it. Surprisingly enough you can't use both ovens at the same time!

What I am proposing to do:
Replace JB with DP cooker switch, then run 6mm from it to double oven.
Bring in new ring for 2 sockets + FCU and possible extension in future.
I was going to run the socket under the worktop for the gas igniter and the fridge from the FCU.

If this sounds good what size MCB should I use, 16, 20 or 32?
The 2 sockets over the worktop normaly have a kettle, toaster, fryer and microwave plugged in

Thanks in Advance
Kyle :)

Sponsored Links
No,
I gave them an idea of what I am doing and paying the fee.
Just need some advice on the protective device for the circuit please :)

for a normal domestic ring you should use a 32A breaker.

Sponsored Links
if you are installing a kitchen ring with LABC inspection, you may as well install plenty of sockets. I recommend running the cable at 150mm/200mm above worktop height round most of the kitchen, and at 600mm intervals putting in a double socket or else a 20A switch to feed an under-counter appliance outlet, or an FCU to feed a higher outlet such as a fan, extractor, TV, or under-cupboard lamp.

It does no harm to put in an appliance outlet at every point where you have, want, or one day might like, an appliance. Doing it all at one time will be far easier and cheaper than adding one later.

...I was going to run the socket under the worktop for the gas igniter and the fridge from the FCU...

note that if yoiu are fitting a 13A socket under the counter, it will have a fused plug going into it, so you do not need an FCU, a 20A DP switch is better.

Only fit single sockets for appliances, a double will overheat if it has two large appliances such as washer, drier, dishwasher, oven in use at the same time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back