Sorry another... gas hob & single oven Q!

pinns said:
6) Runs 2.5mm cable (chased into wall?) up to flex outlet situated near to hood, then connects hood flex into outlet.

Hi reading this post with interest, what is the best way to connect the hood flex to the flex outlet? I've not used a flex outlet before so is this simply a junction box with a cover the incorporates a hole for the incoming flex?

Sponsored Links
Thanks Jeep, now I know exactly what to do! And you made perfect sense, (hic!) ;)

The old electric hob had a 30A cooker neon, so if I could keep that instead of getting a new 20a DP and just change the MCB, even better - less fuss, and the 'future anyone' can get a new switch if they upgrade the oven.

Got plenty of 2.5mm cable around the house, I just wondered if I could use 1.0mm as it would be easier to hide.

Thanks again,

pinns

Akshay: you're correct, that's what a flex outlet is. Not a whole lot different from using a 13A plug and single unswitched socket, but a bit neater.

pinns: I don't see any reason why not to use your old switch, as long as it's in good nick. As you say, it's changing the MCB that counts for circuit protection. 1mm² cable should only be used for lighting circuits, so go for 2.5mm². I'm sure it won't be that much more work to hide!

Aha - thanks for keeping me right, Jeep!
And thanks everyone for the info on this thread, much appreciated.

pinns

Sponsored Links
I'm sure I speak for all concerned when I say 'you're very welcome and good luck!'...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back