Kitchen Island Socket Installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A kitchen island has no electical sockets fitted. The only electrics is to the under worktop fitted oven.
Does the installation of a double socket, fitted flush to the worktop require certification?
Could a competent DIYer just tap it off the oven conncetions?
Cheers
Doug

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't just cut a hole and fit a double socket, the holes will fill with debris and water.

1667838179491.png

Other devices exist

As to whether you can tap off the oven supply, short answer is yes, if the supply is 4 or 6mm² and 32A it should be fine, if just a 2.5mm² and/or 16A supply you will have to be careful with loads if the oven is on.
I'd suggest fitting a 13A socket or 13A FCU to power the above type of device. Some come with a flex and 13A plug.

Last edited:
Are you asking if it is good idea to fit a double gang socket in to a horizontal worktop? The answer is NO.

Can you not run a spur that is below the worktop?

Sponsored Links
It must be possible to fit a socket in a cabinet side under the worktop like I did20221108_133451.jpg

Last edited:
It must be possible to fit a socket in a cabinet side under the worktop like I didView attachment 284982
I really dislike that arrangement.
Anything plugged in, and standing on the worktop, has a trailing lead looped over the edge.
This provides a hazard such that the kettle full of boiling water can be easily snagged by a passing 5-year old (0r 75 year old!) with terrible consequences.

Adding a socket is not something that needs a cert , but make sure you add it in after the isolator for the oven as you may need to turn it off remotely in a hurry if you say spill water over it.
I would not have it flat that's asking for water penetration, raise it up a bit on a surface mount back box...they come in all sorts. eg

1667922301519.png

Strictly speaking:

All electrical work requires a certificate which anyone may complete.

In Wales, any new fixed cabling in a kitchen requires notification to the Local Authority before the work is started.

is there a chance the existing oven isolator includes a 13A socket?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back