Arcing sound from plug socket switch

Which brings the question of how inductive is the power supply of a TV, and afaict the answer to that depends on the power factor correction. Afaict a SMPSU without power factor correction or with active power factor correction is substantially non-inductive but passive power factor correction is basically an inductor on the input............

Sponsored Links
Which brings the question of how inductive is the power supply of a TV ...
Maybe, but as I recently wrote, the current involved in a TV PSU is going to be so relatively low that even if it were, hypothetically, appearing as a pure inductive load, I doubt that there would be any issue in frelation to a switch breaking it.

Kind Regards, John

On amp into a large inductor can do more damnage than 6 amps into a very small inductance
Of course, that's just a statement of the obvious (given the equation I posted). However, as I've said, the current likely to be drawn by the (almost inevitably 'switch-mode') PSU of a modern-ish TV flowing through any credible inductive component (if any) of such a PSU would surely represent a pretty trivial amount of stored charge, very unlikely do do any damage if the circuit were broken.

In my last post, I wrote that the equation "means that the stored energy increases rapidly as current increases". Maybe my point would have been clearer if I had written "... means that the stored energy decreases rapidly as current decreases."

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
All this isn't really relevant. The socket is probably just worn out if its being switched off daily. Just replace it with a branded equivalent socket. A TV is a tiny load in the grand scheme of things, especially in standby.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back