Single socket switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I want to change my single socket switch as the one I currently have is very old. Whats the difference between a single pole socket switch and a double pole socket switch? I am assuming I should purchase a single pole socket switch?

Sponsored Links
Hi, I want to change my single socket switch as the one I currently have is very old. Whats the difference between a single pole socket switch and a double pole socket switch? I am assuming I should purchase a single pole socket switch?
In a Single Pole Socket-Outlet, the electrical connection to the Line (only) is broken by the switch while,
in a Double Pole Socket-Outlet, both the Line and Neutral connections are broken by the switch.

Personally I always fit sockets with double pole switches, they don't cost a lot more.

Personally I always fit sockets with double pole switches, they don't cost a lot more.
So would you recommend me fitting a double pole switch? That single socket there is always something plugged into it.

Sponsored Links

20p difference!

and as I said I fit DP switched sockets through choice not cost as I think they might be a bit safer if both line and neutral are disconnected by the switch

edit ...you said single socket, the same applies but the difference in this case is 30p using Wessex fittings

wessex used as an example only. My preferred brand, scolmore, don't do single pole switched.

Last edited:
Im going to buy this one

13A 1 Gang Double Pole Switch Socket - White Square Round Edge Electric Switched Socket - Double Pole Electrical Outlet with Concealing Screw Fixings Caps https://amzn.eu/d/7FCDHOE

Pay a little extra for the mk logic plus dp socket, the terminal screws are better quality and it only needs a slim backbox.

Blup

Is there any reason you are buying from Amazon?. The likes of Toolstat ion and Screwfix will do a better choice cheaper. Blup mentioned the mk socket which is £2.79 at toolstation for instance and will probably be better quality than the Amazon one

Is there any reason you are buying from Amazon?. The likes of Toolstat ion and Screwfix will do a better choice cheaper. Blup mentioned the mk socket which is £2.79 at toolstation for instance and will probably be better quality than the Amazon one
Would have purchased from Toolstation but don’t have a car. I have prime for Amazon which helps. If anyone can recommend me a good single socket switch on amazon that would be great. Just attach the link

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back