Socket Query?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just been asked a question, and was wondering if anyone can possibly help........It regards sockets, whats the difference between a double pole, and a single pole socket?..... I'm assuming in a double pole socket, both the line and neutral are switched, etc..... but are these sockets used in specific locations/uses, etc, or are they just safer to use. Many Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You assume right, the double pole switch means it will cut live and neutral.

Sponsored Links
what's that topic got to do with whether SP and DP switched sockets are used in specific situations?

most are DP nowadays surely? disconnecting the neutral so if you drop your toaster in the sink when it's off at the plug, it won't trip out the RCD and take out all the sockets.. ( remember to dry it out well before using it again.. :) )

........Thanks lads..... but are these sockets used in specific locations/uses, etc, or are they just safer to use. Many Thanks

There are no particular locations or applications where D.P. switched sockets would especially be used over the S.P. varieties. D.P. versions only really started to become widespread fairly recently, and there's really no need to use them. After all, if you want to be sure of completely isolating the appliance in question, all you need to do is pull the plug.

Thanks very much Paul C..... thats just what I needed to know!!, sorry about the post after your reply..... I seem to be having computer/forum delay issues!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back