double pole or single pole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just adding a couple of new double switched sockets and have the choice of either single pole or double pole.
The question is why or when should I use a double pole switched socket rather than a single pole one?

Sponsored Links
double pole isolates both neutral and live, single pole only isolates live, double is better, but single is cheaper

that's fine but..
why use a more expensive 13A double pole switched socket?
under what circumstances would you do so?
if I were to plug in a washing machine or TV would that need a double pole socket?
if I were to plug in a standard lamp would that only need a single pole switched socket?
what would make isolating the neutral necessary?

There's never any reason not to use a DP one, so stop faffing about, fit DP ones and move on....

Sponsored Links
ban-all-sheds said:
There's never any reason not to use a DP one, so stop faffing about, fit DP ones and move on....

there is a very good reason..COST.. for those of us on a budget (which is why I'm doing it to start with), single pole outlets are 40% cheaper and if I don't have to worry whether or not the neutral is isolated that's a good enough reason for me.

It's hard to compare, as not many makes are available in both forms, and AFAIK, none of the quality makes like MK, Crabtree etc offer SP, but I might be wrong - I've never looked.

But taking the Screwfix Select range as an example:

DP 2-gang sockets £1.45
SP 2-gang sockets £1.05

Saving 40p per socket.

You are fitting "a couple". I can't believe that you've bothered to spend your time and energy registering here, posting and reading replies, because you'd like to save 80p. If you are that concerned to save tiny amounts of money then I worry about what other corners you might cut.

ban-all-sheds said:
if you are that concerned to save tiny amounts of money then I worry about what other corners you might cut.

1.5mm flex? (easier to deal with. prob has some spare lyin round)
blu-tak cable along wall (cheper than chasing wall)
superglue backbox 2 wall (cheaper than hiring a drill and buyin a pack of wal plugs and screws)

ban-all-sheds said:
There's never any reason not to use a DP one
But there's never any real need to use one either. DP-switched sockets have only become commonplace in relatively recent times anyway, marketed on yet another "increased safety" angle when there was never any safety problem with SP to begin with.

Use DP if that's all that's available in the quality range or style you want, but certainly don't worry about using SP types otherwise. Most countries don't even have SP switches on their sockets!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back